Thursday, August 16, 2012

Slivers V9

Slivers was one of the early "hard problems" that I worked on. Back in the day I had to pick problems I could work by myself since there were only a few other boulderers and most of the time I was working things out by myself after work with no spotters. This meant that most of the hard problems had to have a crux near the ground...

Slivers has an awkward start with the right foot wedged between a ground boulder and the main rock and the other sort of dangling below you. Pull up using two small slopers and then place your right foot onto the stone.

First move is a thrutch up to a decent left side pull then a high step and move up to the "sliver hold". This tiny edge sits high and directly over your starting right foot hold. Gain this sliver and then use a funky back step to get your left hand onto a good high shelf. From there grovel to the top on V4 moves.

The first time I got my left hand onto the shelf it broke off - sending me into a twisting backwards fall onto my tiny old school crash pad. I waited two weeks until I could find some spotters to try again.

Cool moves, slightly contrived but pretty sweet.

Slivers boulder is located just uphill and slightly past the visitor center off the main parking lot. Arrow shows approximate location.


No comments:

Post a Comment